What to look out for when testing for mold
Mold air sampling is known to be the best way in which you can ensure that the mold in your house is captured and checked for toxicity. Most of the molds will turn out to be non-toxic. It is important for everyone to understand that some amount of mold spores will always be present in the air. However, the mold testing labs have to check whether the amount is beyond an acceptable limit and would need some kind of remediation or not. In the case of mold air sampling, you will have to use two mold testing kits in case you are using home testing methods. One of these kits will be used to capture the indoor air while the second one will be used as a control sample that will be captured outside the home.
Both these samples need to be properly labelled and then sent to the mold testing labs and they will let you know whether you have any mold in your house or not. They will also tell you the species of the mold and the concentration of mold in your house. They are very useful when it comes to getting your black mold tested. The species of the mold will let you know about its toxicity as well. However, mold air sampling has certain issues as well. One of the most common problems with mold air sampling is that you will have to buy two kits and then spend some money for the lab tests as well. There are petri dish tests that can let you know about the presence of mold in your house within 3 to 7 days. Though this is not a major drawback as the lab results are always more reliable.
The second reason why you should be a little careful during mold air sampling is that the sampling is performed in very variable conditions. Because of the weather, rainfall, humidity and other environmental factors the results of the control sample can easily vary and it would become very difficult for the lab to test whether the mold spores in your home are really in a harmful quantity or not. Finally, mold air sampling should be performed with great care because taking a sample from the living room when the mold is in the kitchen will not do anything good for the homeowners. Hence, either be very careful or call an expert for testing for mold.